EMR Print Management – Epic Printing Problems & Solutions
- Unnecessary redundancy of print servers: As mentioned above, this is the biggest problem facing Epic printing. With many print servers, comes many problems, such as print driver management (each print server must have the exact same drivers on all of them) and each driver can have many print queues. There must also be multiple print servers allocated for each remote site resulting in lots of bandwidth being consumed just for printing.
- Issues redirecting print: Although Epic has their Printer Class Mapping tool to help redirect printing, special care must be used when planning and mapping printer output. First print classes have to be correctly defined and then carefully mapped. If this is not done correctly, problems can occur.
- Secure pull printing and mobile printing not supported: Epic does not have built-in support for pull printing and mobile printing. With many clinicians roaming the hospital with their tablets or laptops in hand, they are limited as to where to print their documents.
Interested in learning more about EMR print management? Check out this free whitepaper on how to optimize Epic printing in your healthcare VDI environment!
What Are Some EPIC EMR Solution Options? There are multiple third-party printing solutions that provide a platform independent point of control, which eliminates the need to define and maintain complicated Windows print servers, print queues and printer drivers. These platforms also ensure that printers follow the user regardless of document or printer types. Using a supported Epic interface, the software receives document requests from Epic apps and then routes them to the intended print device, while at the same time providing print status feedback to Epic system users before printing errors can affect patient care. Printers are also defined once in a single location, regardless of how many Epic apps are being used. Benefits of 3rd Party EPIC EMR Print Solutions:
- Provides a single point of control for all printers
- Is scalable with an unlimited number of printers
- Improves EPS and App performance
- Supports all open systems EPIC runs on
- Reduces the number of print servers and can even consolidate print servers to the data centre
- Supports secure pull printing and mobile printing
Try UniPrint Infinity
Whether you are using virtualization solutions or physical desktops, UniPrint Infinity is the print management solution of choice for your organization.
UniPrint Infinity: Are you ready for Citrix Synergy ’19?
4 Jun 2019
Building a Print Security Strategy: 7 Factors to Consider
22 Feb 2019
HIMSS 2019 – Digital Transformation Through Digital Input and Output
11 Feb 2019
6 Trends that will Redefine the Print Industry in 2019
12 Dec 2018
3 Best Implementation Practices to Prepare for a VDI Environment
16 Nov 2018
Enterprise Mobility and Printing: The Workforce of the Future
9 Nov 2018
Printing in a Digital World
2 Nov 2018
Mobility and Workforce Productivity: A Trend You Simply Can’t Afford to Overlook!
23 Oct 2018
Enterprise Device Management: 3 Best Practices for ensuring a Secured, Simplified Environment
12 Oct 2018
Virtualization: 2 Big Reasons Why You Need to Consider Virtualized Printing
28 Sep 2018
- See All